CAUTION: Brainstorming session in progress

Click Ginger to Visit DA's blog for Author Interviews and much more.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

HC Brown - Author of "Time to Live"

I'd like to welcome HC Brown to the blog today.
If you're not familiar with her work, well... you need to be. She's good. Really good.
HC shared a few thoughts from the land down under where she lives with her family.
Please be sure to leave a comment before clicking the logo to visit the next stop on the tour.
And of course, thank you for stopping by! – KevaD


Q) There is so much that goes on behind the scenes in writing, such as rounds and rounds of editing. When you began writing professionally, what problems or bumps popped up that you never expected, and how did you adjust to them?

A) The first bump hit me like a train. I thought I could write. Well, I had the stories rolling around my head but getting them on to paper was another thing. Learning the craft of writing to the standard required by publishers today is a far cry from what I learned at university. Showing verses telling, deep POV etc required in a novel has changed dramatically over the years.
I overcame this problem with hard work, reading only new releases and finding my own 'voice'.
I am super critical of my own work. In truth, I am never satisfied. I think an honest kick you in the butt critique partner is essential. I need feedback good or bad. It is far too easy become a sloppy writer and I want every single word I write to be better than the last one. Oh I love praise, every writer bathes in praise and we all need someone to say they love our work or the time taken to craft a story would not be worth the effort.

To be honest I've never had rounds and rounds of editing and I hope I never will.


Q) Briefs or boxers on your men? Why?

A) Uh huh…  mmmm now let me see briefs, preferably black or better still leather. Why? Because, there is nothing better than seeing the outline of a fine muscular ass and a generous package.


Q) When you write, are you a character in your stories, or are you on the sidelines watching the story as it unfolds?

A) I'm in the heads of the POV, I feel what they feel, see what they see. This is the same if the character is male, female, angel or demon.
I am told I have two separate voices in  my stories, the hard nose gritty story comes though in a male voice, the fantasy romance is usually female. No I don't have a split personality in the real world. I'm pretty straight talking and all female.LOL

Q) What's next for you? Are you considering new characters in a new setting?

 A) My latest release with Noble Romance is a novella Time to Live, a M/M BDSM in the Timeless Desire Series.

 I've been dabbling in stories set in middle eighteenth century England. I love writing in that era especially gay stories. In 1760 life was very difficult for gay men. To have a relationship discovered in those days could mean a one-way trip to the gallows.
The two I have finished are A Tryst in Time and Lord and Master
I'm currently working on a fantasy romance M/F and a M/M BDSM Story Hurt Me Good.

Also as usual I'm writing a few diverse paranormal/fantasy stories. I hope to take my readers to new realms/planets/dungeons in the near future.


Q) Do you implant subplots in your stories very often – a personal dilemma the hero or heroine has to overcome as well as the primary obstacle?

 A) Oh yes. I often write a few chapters of a new story and then realize the story doesn't 'sing' for me.  IMO A subplot makes a story more interesting. I think we live our lives in subplots. Nothing is supposed to go right in life is it? Who was it that said, 'Life wasn't meant to be easy'?

Time To Live- Timeless Desire Collection

Blurb:

Seth Bannock is living a lie. Nothing in his life is working out. He likes women . . . he respects women . . . but when he tries to kiss a woman and she does that tongue thing, he wants to spew.

Confused by his body's reaction to the men at his gym, Seth seeks help from the only gay club he knows—Floggers. Is the man crazy? Seeking answers, the sweet, vanilla virgin marches into the BDSM club to speak to the owner, Rio Knight.

Realization that he has been on the wrong team all his life comes in the form of a six-foot-seven Adonis by the name of Matt Duffey. Instantly attracted to the leather-clad alpha male, Seth must leave his old life behind and embrace his newfound sexuality.

Seth thought his life had complications before he met Matt, but nothing comes close to the rollercoaster ride in the big dom's arms.




Thank you for having me. Please leave your email with your comments to go into the draw for a prize. Then click on the tour logo to go to the next blog in the tour.


Thank you for taking the time to visit, HC. I hope you come back soon.

14 comments:

  1. Hi KevaD and HC ,
    I love this excerpt . I know, I'm beginning to feel like a stalker. lol But I love this tour. After going to your web site I saw you also have the Pride Brother's series. I have Time To Live and Pride Brothers on my TRL. It's great meeting the Author behind their books.And it's been great meeting you all on this tour.
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're the kind of stalker writers appreciate, Carol. Feel free to stalk here anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Carol. The Pride Brothers Series is close to my heart. The first in that series 'Purr-fect Seduction' became my first ever best seller. Dare the hero is modelled on someone very close to me, not the person but the heart of the character if you understand my meaning. A man steadfast and true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all your books not sure if I enjoy the prides or Floggers more. cant wait for the next book. Gabrielle meingee@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome, Gabrielle.
    Yeah. HC can definitely tell a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the post; it was a great read.

    I just can't get enough of Time to Live's cover!

    Thanks,
    Tracey D
    booklover0226 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Tracey!!
    Maybe if you ask real nice, HC might send you an autographed copy.
    Can't speak for her, but it never hurts to try. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another author that is new to me. Enjoyed the interview and have added to my TBR wishlist.
    Patricia
    panthers.ravens@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is it wrong to say i really want your books because of the covers? lol And the books sound great! (I took a peak at your site and boy!, i cant wait to go shopping!) ;) Thanks for sharing!
    shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Tracy, @ Shadow, Fiona Jayde is the brilliant artist for my covers. Sometimes I think she can see into my mind. I have all my covers proudly displayed on a wall opposite my front door LOL.
    @Celtic Amazon- welcome- my Muse has drawn a story from your name already.
    @Gabrielle- I'm thrilled you like my books and yes many more to come . I've just had another BDSM , a novel this time, accepted by Noble Romance look out for 'Obsession' in January :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Patricia and Shadow,
    Thanks for dropping in and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe I didn't read about the Pride Brother Series before now. My books to buy list is so full, it just might explode.

    drainbamaged.gyzmo at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kathryn!
    HC's stories are great, so get a helmet and add them all to your list. =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. My winners today were
    booklover0226- Tracy and Carol L.

    Thank you so much for having me today David and thanks for all the wonderful comments.

    ReplyDelete