CAUTION: Brainstorming session in progress

Click Ginger to Visit DA's blog for Author Interviews and much more.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Lucy Felthouse - Author of "Love Through Time"

Today, Lucy Felthouse graces my blog.
I hope you'll leave a comment or two for her, and then click the logo to take you to the next stop on your Timeless Desire tour.

Oh… and thanks for stopping by! - KevaD

Lucy is a graduate of the University of Derby, where she studied Creative Writing. During her first year, she was dared to write an erotic story - so she did. It went down a storm and she's never looked back. Lucy has had stories published by Cleis Press, Noble Romance, Ravenous Romance, Summerhouse Publishing, Sweetmeats Press and Xcite Books. She is also the editor of Uniform Behaviour and Seducing the Myth. Find out more at http://www.lucyfelthouse.co.uk. You can also find her on Facebook, Twitter and Goodreads.


Q) What inspired you to write professionally?

To start with, it was just a spur of the moment thing. I'd gotten into erotica writing as someone had dared me to do it! I then started reading Black Lace books and Scarlet Magazine (both of which are now sadly defunct). Scarlet had a section where they'd print erotic short stories. I submitted one of mine and it got published! From then on I continued to write and send off stories, with each acceptance spurring me on to do more.

Q) As a writer, what is your ultimate goal?

To write a full length novel and get it published.

Q) Briefs or boxers on your men? Why?

Boxers. I just think they're sexier. Though having said that, Jared Padalecki could turn up in my bed in any kind of underwear and I still wouldn't say no ;)

Q) What have you had to sacrifice to become a writer?

Sanity! No, seriously, I don't feel I have. Writing isn’t a chore to me, it's something I feel I *have* to do, but because I want to. I became self-employed a few months ago which means I can be a lot more flexible on how I spend my time. I'm not earning as much money as I was because I'm still building up the business, but it does give me more time to write. This is paying off, because since I've had more time, I'm getting a lot more publications out there – which hopefully will start to bring in more money. So in the long run I definitely think it's a good thing. I'm happier anyway, and as we only live once – happiness is so important.

Q) Is being a writer as satisfying as you thought it would be?

Yes, absolutely. It can be really hard work sometimes, but there are so many payoffs that it doesn't matter. I think most writers are wired a certain way that they always want to write – so like I said before, it's not a 'chore.' It may be a job, but it doesn't feel like one. And then you have the satisfaction of: finishing a piece, having a piece accepted, having a piece published, receiving reader/reviewer feedback. The positives far outweigh the negatives and even if they didn't, I'd probably still be doing it...

*****
Westbury Manor is a stately home with a fascinating past, and when book conservator Emily Stone starts uncovering it, she's startled by what she finds . . . .

Emily arrives at Westbury Manor with a job to do. She's to clean and conserve all of the books in their impressive library, preserving them for future generations. Not long into her stay at the house, she bumps into the night guard, George. She'd expected an old, balding guy with a comb over, so the hunky chap she actually meets is a very pleasant surprise. The introductions complete, George leaves Emily in peace to get on with her job. But when a falling photograph sets off a chain reaction of ghostly events, Emily and George are thrown together in order to find out who—or what—is causing them. Their investigation uncovers a tragic past, a lost love, and a stunning secret.

*****
Emily received some strange looks and frowns from the people she passed as she walked across the graveled drive toward the front entrance of Westbury Hall. She could appreciate their confusion. It was closing time for the stately home, and the last of the visitors were being politely ushered out of the building, yet she was heading inside. She'd been invited. She had a job to do.

An elderly lady stood in the porch, smiling and nodding as she held the door open for those departing the hall. Most of them seemed in no hurry to leave, stopping to make comments to the woman at the door, thanking her for a lovely visit and so on. Emily waited patiently to the side, allowing the patrons to leave before attempting to enter. When the staff member—most likely a volunteer, Emily thought—caught sight of her, she gave her a polite nod of acknowledgment.

Finally, the last of Westbury Hall's visitors moved out, leaving Emily free to enter. Climbing the single, stone step to the threshold, she took the hand already offered her.
Shaking Emily's hand with a surprising firmness, the woman said, "You must be Miss Stone." Her smart appearance and the intelligence in her eyes indicated that despite her age, she was far from past it. "I'm Mrs. Thompson, house supervisor."

"I am," Emily replied, dropping her hand back to her side, "but please, call me Emily. It's lovely to meet you. So, house supervisor? Do you live on site?"

Indicating Emily should step inside the entrance hall, Mrs. Thompson proceeded to close and lock the porch and front doors of the house, securing them in.

"I do," the older woman said, turning back to face Emily, "I have rooms in a separate building just off the back of this one. So you needn't worry about me disturbing you."

"Oh no," Emily said, worried she'd inadvertently rubbed Mrs. Thompson the wrong way. "I didn't mean that. I was just curious. You're more than welcome to see me at work, Mrs. Thompson; although, I'm afraid you won't see anything terribly exciting."

Mrs. Thompson smiled now, the warmth reaching her eyes. Emily sighed silently with relief. She'd yet to see the extent of the work she had to do, but she'd been told it was no easy task, so she could be here for some time. The last thing she needed was to upset any of the staff.

"Oh, you'd be surprised, my dear. This is a fascinating old place. Of course, all these old houses have history, but Westbury Hall's is particularly rich."

Emily smiled. The woman's enthusiasm was infectious. "Well then," she replied, "I can't wait to learn more about it. I hope you'll feed me full of historical tidbits while I'm here?"

Mrs. Thompson gave an enigmatic smile. Then, startling Emily somewhat, she turned smartly on her heel and walked deeper into the house. "Come, my dear, I won't hold you up any longer. I'll show you to the library, where you'll soon start uncovering Westbury's illustrious history for yourself."
*****


15 comments:

  1. Oh Lucy, you are so right, Jared Padalecki wearing anything is an automatic yes in my book as well.

    Glad to know you really enjoy writing. I think when an author feels that way, it really shows in their work.

    drainbamaged.gyzmo at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Kathryn.
    Many thanks for you taking the time to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed both the interview and the excerpt; both were great reads.

    Thanks,
    Tracey D
    booklover0226 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the excerpt and the interview. The tour has been great as well.
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was an interesting excerpt. I want to know more.

    ainfinger(at)comcast(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great excerpt. Certainly has me wanting more.

    Gabrielle
    meingee@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tracey, Carol, Andrea, and Gabrielle,

    Thank you all very much for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Great interview! Your excerpt was very good! I enjoyed it! Cant wait to read more. Thanks for sharing!
    Happy (early) Thanksgiving! ;)
    shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please enter me in this contest. Thank you. My email address is npl42011@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're in, Nancy.
    Thank you very much for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blub is intriguing. Liked your interview.
    Patricia
    panthers.ravens@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for all your comments, guys and girls. So glad you like the sound of Love Through Time. It was great fun to write!

    I used a random generator to choose the winner of today's contest. Congratulations go to... Andrea! Well done - I'll be in touch soon about your prize.

    All comments with email address are entered into the main prize draw, too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love Jared, but Jensen really makes me sweat. Thanks for the Q&A, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete